Car
    E46 M3 & E30 'verts

Default Talk me through this E60 M5 or 2 series...

My buying finger is getting itchy again. This is what I am thinking about but I can tell the old noggin is not totally clear on this subject.

I currently have a E46 M3 vert and a Subaru WRX that would be sacrificed in this transaction. For the sake of argument assume that all the cars in question are proper three pedal manuals. (Cause they are )

Would would I love or regret about any of these options?

Car
    MKVII GSW TDI

an ageing german v10 that revs to the moon? sweet but you are maintaining a car that was $100k new...

Car
    E46 M3 & E30 'verts

I already do that with the M3, it is a bit more cramped in the engine bay with a V10 so I do imagine some things will be significantly harder. But I have already had my VANOS apart twice on the S54. Really, all that says is I foolishly rush in where wiser men would fear to wrench. I did go look at a 135 over lunch. It was nice, but I think both it and the 2 feel a little plasticy?

One of the big things I am fussing over is the iDrive system. In the M5 it is not good. I like having my phone just play over the stereo with bluetooth. That is not an option in the M5. But is that really a silly thing to fuss about? I installed an OEM looking modern radio in the M3 which is pre-iDrive but that is not an option for iDrive cars.

But is that really the thing to be making decisions on--a plasticky console and dash vs. bluetooth audio?

The truth of it is that all these are compromises and which set of compromises is the right set. I saw an M5 in the shop as well over lunch, it was purdy.

Car
    E46 M3 & E30 'verts

Aaaaannnd he has climbed down from the ledge...

Here is the M5 in question and if you are in the market for these things that is about as perfect of an example as you can find.

The thing that made me change my mind is that I have to try and sell my M3 first, I already have a bad habit of buying cars with the idea of selling my other car. This is not appreciated by the spousal unit, and I have to agree that I am running out of driveway space. So, it looks like I will be investing in some Craig's List time and then I can refresh my stable. It is not like I am driving a Prius at the moment anyway ;-)

Car
    5 of them, mostly broken.

oofda. a manual e60 m5 is a god-tier car, but I could not esee myself owning one. If I did, I'd pre-emptiveely replace rod bearings, as they seem to eat themselves in 50-100k at best. Also, low-to-mid teens for MPG's would not be something I'd want to live with in a daily... as cool as the car is.

IMO, an S54 car is a nice combination of stupidity and sanity. I do mean that in the best way - if/when it blows, I hope to replace the M54b30 in my Z4 with an S54. Maybe add a CSL-style airbox and tune to your car as a treat for climbing down from the edge.
    - Taylor

My Flickr

Car
    E46 M3 & E30 'verts

The S54 is a wonderful engine--I should love my M3 more than I do. I just have spent so long getting it wipped into shape I am a bit tired of it. For instance it had a trashed interior do to sun damage. It took me 3 years to source all the parts and get that swapped out to where I now have a minty interior that I should love. I still just think of the trashed seat I drove on for 2 years.

This is 100% my emotional baggage with this car, whoever has it next will have a well sorted M3 that should last for another 150k. The M3 has been a journey that has made me a better mechanic, but I did not 100% sign up for that journey.

I used to have a E39 M5, and I loved it. I got frightened of rod bearings on it and let it go, today I would swap those myself and be happy. That is part of the appeal of the E60, to get back into an M5. But you know how they say you can never really go home, I worry that I am trying to reclaim something that really cannot be reclaimed. My M5 boat might have sailed, I can look back and do a "we will always have Paris" thing but pursuing that might be misguided.

2-Series are starting to come off of lease now and there will only be more of them to chose from, I can afford to take my time on that path.