Car
    07 Rabbit / 86 Golf

Default Mk2 auto/manual transmission swap

Toying with the idea of swapping a 1.8t into the 8v golf, but at minimum, keeping the 8v and swapping the auto with a 5 speed. Anyone have any pointers or experience with this? Not too mechanically inclined, but interested in learning.

Car
    72 911T, '12 Jetta, Tahoe

Im happy to help you. Im not sure everything you'll need but a parts car to pick at at the jy would be most helpful. AFAIK the axles are the same. you'd need a whole shift linkage, transmission, motor mount, cable, pedal cluster.... that would be a good start.

Car
    72 911T, '12 Jetta, Tahoe

oh wow, I read this as just doing a 5speed swap for some reason. I've never done a 1.8T mk2 swap, but I imagine you're going to need a vr6 corrado pedal cluster for the hydraulic clutch. Shift cables/box for the shifter. Mounts. axles.... harness, ECU. trans and engine of course.

Alternatively I think you could get an AEB which a standard mk2 trans would bolt up to, and then you'd have cable clutch.

Car
    07 Rabbit / 86 Golf

Just considering a 1.8t. Definitely want to do the 5 speed swap though for next year. Thanks for the offer, dude

Car
    82 Cabriolet

It will probably be somewhat similar to swapping a 1.8T into the Mk1 based on things i found during researching for my engine swap. You'll definitively need the engine mounts (custom?), pedal cluster, wiring, gauge cluster?, etc. etc. like Kris said you'll want to find a full donor car for this swap to make things easier (and cheaper)

Car
    07 Rabbit / 86 Golf

I'm finally knocking a lot of the higher priority things off the list for the car. Transmission is starting to look more doable this fall/winter.

Here's what I've found.

Engine: GU (EA827)
    Tranny: 020 AUG

I'll need an 020, however being an early mk2, there are some things that are different from a late model mk2:

90mm (early) vs 100mm (late) drive flange.
    Possible replacement of axel and bearings if the tranny is from a later model.
    Different ratios for different codes, but I don't think it will make a difference.

The larger task items seem to be relatively easy to obtain. Transmission, linkage, clutch assembly, transmission cable, pedal cluster, mounts. It's the arsenal of tools I don't have, and the odds of bolts/bits that I don't know of.

Car
    07 Rabbit / 86 Golf

Made a trip to Hans and picked up all the parts I believe I need:

020 ACN trans
    Starter
    Transmission Mount
    Motor Mount
    Speedo Cable
    Clutch Cable
    Trottle Cable & Bracket
    100mm Axles
    Clutch assembly (to be replaced)
    Gear Box
    Linkage
    Pedal Cluster

Hoping to get this done before the snow flies, but that all depends on where I can end up doing the work. I'll need to support the motor somehow and some guidance with wiring.

Car
    03 Jetta Wagon

Let's break this up a bit, some of it might be a bit of overkill or stuff you know.

O2O:
    Stock mk2 and mk3 4 cylinder 5 speed is a O2O transmission. There is also a three lettered code that will define the actual gear stack inside the O2O. There is a range of O2O tranny codes that range for an economy geared to a GTI geared transmission. Fun ration, cost of the used transmission and MPG's will vary on the O2O tranny code.

Like listed above you will need a slug of parts and the easiest option would be to find a pile of a mk2 that is a 5 speed or find somebody parting one out and grab everything (or most things) in one shot. Also worth mentioning the 020 transmission is a rod shifted tranny and a cable activated clutch. It also has a bit of a backwards (motorcycle) clutch setup by modern standards.

A healthy O2O transmission will hold up on your 8V for a long time. A 020 on a stock of slightly modified 1.8T should hold up if you are nice to it. I would not go through the work of a 1.8T swap without installing an LSD in an O2O and having the transmission freshened up.

O2A:
    Most people will tell you that an O2A transmission is a stronger transmission. The O2A came in Corrado’s (both motors), Mk3 VR6 (wrong bell housing) and B3 Passat’s. This is a cable shifter transmission with a hydraulic clutch setup. It also comes in a variety of gear stacks based on what model car it was removed from. Worth mentioning is the VR6 O2A will be the wrong bell housing for bolting up to a 1.8T. The gears inside can be moved to a 4 cylinder bell housing but you will need a Corrado or B3 16V Passat transmission case.

It is going to take a bit more hunting and gathering to find parts. Your best mk2 swap O2A candidate would be a g60 Corrado would be able to donate all of the needed 02A swap parts. Problem is parts Corrado’s are getting tougher and tougher to find. Otherwise, you could piece a swap together based off of luck and different forums. If you were planning on K04 or larger on the 1.8T swap I would go through the work to find an O2A.

1.8T swap:
    As for the 1.8T swap there is about as many or more variables as the transmission swap. Easiest swap will be an older 1.8T with drive by cable. It is less wiring (only a few wires) and just less to mess with during the swap. A drive by wire swap will have a bit more HP stock but be a bit more work to swap. The drive by wire swaps also have some improvements based on it being a new motor and VW turning up the HP ratios as the motor aged. You will have to deal with immobilizer defeat on the newer motors but any of the chip vendors can solve this issue for you.

I am currently in the very slow parts gathering stage of a 1.8T swap into a mk2. I have a later motor (drive by wire) and plan to bolt it to my O2O in my car. I am planning to keep the O2O mostly based on cost and the fact that the O2O is built with an LSD and I have a clutch setup I can use. I highly doubt I will be drag racing or power shifting the car and figure and O2O will hold up for me. If I was starting from scratch (what you are doing) I would source the parts for a 02A swap at the same time.

Just my thoughts typed out while on a conference call.